Grade 3 Social Studies-Unit 3 economics
Lesson 1: Buyers and Sellers
Words to know:
Economics- the study of how people use money, goods, and services.
Buyer- a person who buys goods and services from other people.
Seller- a person who sells goods and services
Exchange- to trade or give up one thing for another.
Grade 4 Social Studies Unit 3: Statehood
Chapter 6 A Growing State
Lesson 1 New Forms of
Chapter 6 Lesson 1
word for a path or road.
Macadam road-a road made of small stones poured on top of
large rocks and then pressed into the earth.(This type of road was pioneered by
Scottish engineer John Loudon McAdam around 1820.)
Stagecoach- a horse-drawn carriage that carries
Toll-fees paid by people who use a road.
Lesson 2 Developing Ohio's Culture
Chapter 6 Lesson 2
Black laws-Laws passed in 1804 by Ohio lawmakers to
discourage Africans from living in Ohio.
Prohibit-to not allow.
Discrimination- unfair treatment.
Circuit rider-preachers on horseback who traveled from
community to community.
Camp meetings-a large outdoor religious gathering led by a
preacher trying to win new believers.
Public schools-A school paid for by property taxes so all
students can be educated for free.
Vocabulary Words: Chapter 6 Lesson 3
1. labor- the human resource needed to produce goods and services
2. entrepreneurship- a skill that people have that helps them organize, manage, and take risks to start and run a business.
3. entrepreneur-a person who owns and runs their own business.
4. cottage industry- a home based business.
5. gristmill - a business that grinds corn, oats, and wheat into flour.