Grade 3 Social Studies-
Chapter 9; Rights and Responsibilities
1. Rights- privileges of citizens that are protected by law.
2. Responsibilities- duties that people are required or expected to do to help a community operate and to preserve democracy.
3. Democracy- a form of government where the supreme power is held by the people and the people use that power by voting.
4. Common Good- the interest or well being of the whole community.
5. Tax- money paid to the government from people or businesses to pay for goods and services for the community.
6. Vote-to express a choice or an opinion.
Grade 4 Social Studies Unit 4: Ohio Grows
Chapter 7: Ohio Changes
Vocabulary Lesson 1:
1. abolitionists-people who worked to abolish or end slavery.
2. Fugitive Slave Law- law passed in 1850 making it illegal to help enslaved people escape.
3. Underground Railroad- a system of secret routes used by free people to help enslaved people escape slavery.
4. secede- formally leave
5. Union- name for the government of the Northern States that remained part of the US.
6. Civil War- a war among people who live in the same country.